This will be the 16th year that the Emigration Canyon Community Council has hosted a “Firewise” Wildfire Community Preparedness Day. This year’s Firewise event will be held May 19th, from 9AM to noon, at Fire Station 119, 5025 Emigration Canyon Rd.
Some of the morning’s activities will be familiar. Mayor Joe Smolka will be flipping pancakes, and we’ll have games and activities for the kids. Members of both the Metro Township Council and the Community Council will be on hand to discuss the ongoing transition of county and township governance.
But the core purpose of Firewise Day is wildfire education, planning, and preparation. Firewise is a national program that teaches individuals to live adaptively in fire-prone environments and encourages community efforts to mitigate risks, reduce losses, and optimize the effectiveness of professional firefighting resources.
We’ll have experts on hand from the U.S. Forest Service; the Utah Division of Forestry, Fire, and State Lands; Salt Lake County’s Unified Fire Authority; and Utah’s Indoor Radon Program. We’ll have displays and discussions on fire-safe landscaping strategies, fuel reduction, and evacuation planning. Spend the morning of May 19 with your neighbors at Firewise Day and you’ll help make Emigration Canyon a safer place for all this fire season.
What to do at Firewise Day?
- Learn how to harden your home with fire- safe landscaping and fuel reduction
- Schedule an on-site risk assessment with a UFA firefighter
- Plan a fast, safe, well-organized family fire evacuation
- Find an emergency response training class and join a Community Emergency Response Team (C.E.R.T.)
- Learn about and join in community wildfire planning activities
Join your canyon neighbors at the UFA Fire Station, May 18th from 9:00 a.m. to noon, for pancakes and a generous helping of community wildfire preparedness.
- The Firewise Program – http://firewise.org
- Defensible Space – http://firewise.org/wildfire-preparedness/be-firewise/home-and-landscape/defensible-space.aspx
- Ready, Set, Go! Program – http://wildlandfirersg.org/Resident
- Firewise Landscaping for Utah: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FirewiseLandscaping2012.pdf